[Adastra] FW: Worms on the increase
Patrick Roper
2014-01-20 18:45:06 UTC
Has anyone ever come across anything like this in the attached photo?

I think they are probably leatherjackets (cranefly larvae) forced up by
saturated soil and washed onto this veranda near Icklesham, East Sussex.
However, if this is the case, why have there not been reports from
elsewhere?

Patrick Roper

To: cattybing at btinternet.com

Sent from my iPhone

-----
No virus found in this message.
I posted a picture on the Pan Species Listers Facebook page of larvae I saw climbing the windows of the cafe(!) of the Roundstone garden centre near Littlehampton last week. I went outside and there were lots of larvae on the paving slabs - although nowhere near as many as there are in that photo!

Sarah

I remember about 20 years ago when I carried out a survey of the Combe
Haven valley. It was July and there had been a terrific storm during
that week, causing a flash flood that filled all the fields like water
tanks. There the water remained for more than a week and thousands of
drowned Diptera larvae could be seen floating at the edge of the flood,
which surely must have affected the populations of several uncommon
wetland flies.

Peter Hodge.