[Adastra] threat to archaic meadow. Fw: The closure of Knowles Tooth
david bangs
2013-10-03 09:53:06 UTC
Folk may wish to see the trail below and submit their comments to the Bishop and the charity.

Knowles Tooth is in the northern countryside of Hurstpierpoint parish, at TQ 274 178.

It is a wonderful place for the children and families who attend it, many of whom have suffered - and continue to suffer - severe traumas as refugees and as victims of poverty and deprivation.

For these children, the possibility of free play in nature is part of what real freedom means. It is a complete delight.

The archaic neutral meadow has frequent Pepper Saxifrage, as well as Oval Sedge (both old meadow 'indicator species') and the range of commoner old meadow herbs, such as Eggs and Bacon, Knapweed, and Meadow Vetchling, in a matrix of Yorkshire Fog, Bent Grass, Timothy, et al. In summer it is alive with meadow butterflies - browns and skippers - and bush crickets and grasshoppers.

At the centre of the play meadow is a huge veteran English Oak pollard, perhaps 300 to 400 years old, with an elaborate tree house nestling in its poll.

The surrounding countryside is badly stripped of such features, with a heavy loss of hedgerows and a near absence of archaic grasslands,

Dave Bangs