[Adastra] Rare (dead) Kemp Ridley Turtle
Steve
2014-02-21 14:09:12 UTC
Hello all

The relentless storms have resulted in many marine animals washed ashore but
none more unusual than the Kemp Ridley Marine Turtle washed ashore (sadly)
dead. The turtle (quite heavily decomposed) was washed ashore at Saltdean on
Monday 17th February. Kemp Ridley are the rarest of all the (endangered)
marine turtles.

Kemp Ridley turtles are mostly found in the Gulf of Mexico area but they can
range between tropical and temperate coastal areas of the northwest Atlantic
Ocean and have been reported as very rare visitors to the UK. I had
previously heard that a Kemp Ridley had also been washed up dead in Devon
back in January 28th this year.

This species is considered to be critically endangered. More information and
pictures can be seen on my weblog below (picture and original observations
from Phil Everitt

http://sussexmarinejottings.blogspot.co.uk/

A loggerhead turtle was washed up dead at Worthing in December last year.

Steve

Steve Savage

Biologist, Environmental Educator, Wildlife Author