[Adastra] Urgent action re roads
TonyWhitbread
2014-02-20 16:46:09 UTC
Dear All

We may be entering a phase where the threats to wildlife seem to be
getting worse and so responses to consultations are becoming
increasingly important so that government knows how wildlife people
feel. At present there is a huge threat from the re-emergence of road
building. Chris Todd, who has good, long links with the Trust has
forwarded the email below asking us to generate as many responses as we
can. I have done the formal response from SWT but apparently numbers
are important so if members of the Adastra group want to respond as
individuals (not on behalf of the Trust) that would be good. The CBT
(Campaign for Better Transport) link is good and has a draft letter you
can just copy and send (although putting it in your own words would be
better).

It's like the 1990s all over again!

Cheers

Tony

(From Chris Todd)

Dear All

Apologies if you've received these request already, but given their huge
importance I am sending around again. Please pass on to friends, family
and colleagues to act on too.

1) Consultation on National Road and Rail Networks National Policy
Statement ends on 26 Feb (next Wednesday)

This is really bad news and will allow a massive increase in
roadbuilding while virtually removing our ability to challenge any new
proposals. Please use CBT's form
<http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/campaigns/roads-to-nowhere/2014-roads
-policy-alert> to send in an objection - it only takes a minute to do.

And / or you can send a letter via CPRE's website
<http://takeaction.cpre.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=21&ea.campa
ign.id=25585&ea.tracking.id=cpre-web> .

Both websites have pre-drafted words for you to use which you can alter
as you see fit if you want to.

2) Draft Route Based Strategies
<http://www.highways.gov.uk/route-based-strategies/> - consultation on
these ends on 5 March. It would be good if you could respond to these
(pick your local strategy, not all of them, unless you are really keen!)
even if you didn't go to any of the workshops:

Have they captured:

* all the noise impacts,
* the true severance of the trunk roads on walkers, cyclists and
horse-riders,
* air quality issues - are they taking this seriously or just
focussing on AQMAs that are directly affected by the strategic routes as
opposed to the knock on implications for urban areas of more cars
* all the local transport issues affecting these routes
* all the alternatives, such as a parallel railway line or have
they properly considered demand management as a solution - if not say so

* all the challenges correctly - do you agree with the road
'improvements' being proposed? If not say so, especially if you have
evidence to show this!

There is an online response form at the link above, or you can provide
comments to the HA directly at alan.kirkdale at highways.gsi.gov.uk
<mailto:alan.kirkdale at highways.gsi.gov.uk> .

Many thanks,

Chris
--
Chris Todd

Roads Campaigner

Campaign for Better Transport

Mobile: 07889 302229

Dr A Whitbread. Chief Executive

Direct line: 01273 497550

To find out more about our Living Landscape vision, become a member or sign up for our free e-newsletter please visit our website http://sussexwildlifetrust.org.uk
You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook

Our aim is to conserve and enhance the Sussex landscape, its
wildlife and habitats and inspire people to care about their natural
environment to help safeguard our county for future generations.
Taking Care of Sussex

Sussex Wildlife Trust is a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Act. Registered in England, Company No. 698851. Registered Charity No. 207005. VAT Registration No. 191 305969. Registered Office: Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9SD. Telephone 01273 492630